Saturday, March 29, 2008

Chapter 6: Capitalize on the Reading-Writing Connection

As teachers, we all know the importance of the reading-writing connection. I found myself enjoying this chapter. Maybe because it made me realize that I do do more writing in my class than I thought.

"What we're after is a written response that deepens comprehension, causes the writer to reflect on the content, and/or fosters appreciation for the text." pg. 125

This saying really grabbed my attention and made me think of my own class. I have my students write a 2 minute summary when we are done reading from our social studies text. At the beginning of the year I didn't think they were understanding what I really wanted, but now thinking over the year they have come so far. In the beginning they where in their text trying to find what to write and now they may reference to their text every once in awhile. They are getting the meaning of "important information" as to "unimportant information".


One thing I took from this chapter and am excited in trying next year was mentioned on page 128. It says to have them write summaries as a group before I have them do it by themselves.

The other thing I thought about was book blurbs. With the technology we have, I thought that it would be fun to have students do this with comic life. I have to actually admit I am excited to try this with my students

2 comments:

Vicky Richardson said...

I agree Amanda. I think we don't give ourselves credit for the writing we do in class. I like the idea of the two minute summary. I'll have to try that. At the beginning of the year Courtney had some of the kids that had read a current William Allen White book do a Comic Life to help promote the book among the students. They loved doing it, and it is still up in my room.

Mrs. Babcock said...

Having the students talk about their summaries out loud seems like a great idea. I too have thought about having my kids talk about their writing before hand. They want to talk, so why not let them talk about something productive?