Sunday, April 13, 2008

Chapter 11: Build on Best Practice & Research

What I took away from this chapter was that whole districts, schools, & grade levels should be working together to make effective & successful writers in our schools. I feel that team 6 shares ideas & practices with each other. We all talk to each other. I know a few of us feel that writing is weak point in our teaching. We all support & encourage each other.

Friday at our PD day, Obee staff came together & agreed that we would align our writing with every grade level. Everyone on the staff was very positive and willing to do this. Something that we want to implement at the beginning of next year.

One thing that I do not agree with Regie on is about the ELL learners. I come from a district where 90% of my class were ELL learners. Some were higher than others and yes others sturggled, but we never isolated them and took them out of language activity classes. This was a Pre-K thru 6 school.

2 comments:

Brenda Dunning said...

Amanda,
I believe that Prosperity is headed in the same direction as OBEE next year. I would like to hear some of the things that you decided on. I would like to apply the quickwrite assessing idea on p. 249. It sounded doable and not overwhelming.

Vicky Richardson said...

I am glad Obee is looking at aligning writing through all of the grade levels. However, I also think this needs to be done district wide so it is not just aligned at one school. If we truly have a guaranteed curriculum in Buhler, then it should be a district writing alignment. Of course now that I've said that, I'm not sure how we need to go about getting that accomplished.