Thursday, April 10, 2008

Chapter 9: Conference with Students

I was excited and a little scared to get into this chapter. First, I was ready to see what I needed to be doing in order to be conferencing with my students. Second, I felt like this is one area of writing that I have not been doing at all or doing the right way. It was quite a pleasant surprise to read that I was doing a few things that she considered to be conferencing, roving & whole class share. I have never considered whole class share to be a conference, but now that I stop and think about it the students are still learning as we do this. I also liked the quickshare conference. When time is crunched you are still getting some conferencing in.

One-on-one formal conferences is something I really need to work on. It was reassuring to read that we will not get to every student on everyday for this. That it will take a week to get through our class.

The class list that was used on page 217 for roving conferences will be very beneficial to use in my room. I also like the editing conference list on page 234. Very easy to follow and understand for students at their desks or at a conference.

2 comments:

Travelin' Tim said...

The one on one conferencing is definitely something I need to work on also. I don't do enough of it. Whole class and quickshare I do a little but probably could do more. I did like this chapter after I started reading it.

Nancy said...

I was with you Amanda. I knew I was not doing well enough on the formal conferencing but was pleasantly surprised that I do some of what Regie suggests.