Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Chapter 8: Organize for Daily Writing

I found a lot of great ideas in this chapter and will being referring back to it every year. However there were a few things that I found overwhelming and one that didn't make sense.

On page 179, she gives a list of prewriting. One of them is researching a subject, but I thought she has stated over and over again to let them choose what they want to write on. If they choose, shouldn't they already have the background information on that subject. Please someone explain this to me if I am reading it the wrong way. Also, on page 185 &186 there are examples of daily schedules with writing. How did a teacher change this so easily without effecting the entire school? We are set on schedules that are set on other people's schedules. It just seems that their schedules don't add up to everything I feel I have to accomplish in a day or along with everything else that goes on in a school day.

I did find several ideas that I liked and am ready to try. I loved the 3 ring binder idea for keeping all of their work together. I especially think this is a great idea for my grade. I also liked the ideas of writing on every other line, writing only on one side, and dating everything. Very easy concepts, just need to apply them. The last thing I really liked was the short writing projects listed on page 198-199. I feel our students have gotten away with handwritten projects due to all the technology. We did one postcard activity in social studies this year, but need to find ways to incorporate this more often.

3 comments:

Travelin' Tim said...

There are some great ideas in here, but yet how can someone have the schedule that they have and not affect someone else. Keeping organized and the students organized is very important.

Tammy Gilley said...

Amanda, I think it is okay for the students to use computers for writing. When I think about the way I write, it is always on the computer anymore. I have gotten to the point where I hate to write things out in a handwritten format. I think it is okay to use computers for writing, and it is my belief that it is a 21st century skill. Yes, we need to have them write something out by hand, but let's keep in mind what their future will hold. What is a good balance between computers and handwritten work?

Bernetta said...

I agree that it is important that students still do some handwritten writing projects. It concerns me greatly when I have third graders who are literally forming letters incorrectly. Although technology is wonderful and we need to keep our students using it, I think it's important we don't loose sight of the basics.